Baltimore Personal Injury Lawyer
Accidents happen everywhere, every day. Humans are not perfect, and when a person behaves in a careless or otherwise negligent manner, he or she can cause a victim to suffer an injury. When this happens, the victim may file a personal injury claim to seek financial compensation for his or her expenses related to the injury. The office of Baltimore personal injury lawyer, Hasson D. Barnes has handled numerous injury cases and we are ready to help you with yours.
Case Types We Handle
Our team works with victims who have been injured in the following types of accident:
- Bicycle Accidents
- Car Accidents
- Medical Malpractice
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Slip & Fall
- Truck Accidents
- Workplace Accidents
- Wrongful Death
Additionally, we work with clients who have lost loved ones in accidents to file wrongful death claims in pursuit of compensation for their death-related damages. A wrongful death claim has some similarities to a personal injury claim, but they are not the same thing.
Negligence, Liability, and Damages Explained
In order to start understanding personal injury law, you need to be familiar with a few key terms:
- Negligence is any action that is a breach of the individual’s duty of care to others. A few examples include a driver running a stop sign, a doctor failing to follow up with a patient after performing surgery, and a homeowner failing to fix the cracked tiles on his or her porch;
- Liability. When an individual’s negligence causes another person’s injury, the negligent individual is liable for the victim’s damages. This means he or she must compensate the victims’ damages that he or she caused; and
- Damages are the compensation paid to the victim for his or her losses.
There are more important terms and concepts to understand, like the doctrine of contributory negligence, that your lawyer can explain in detail during your legal consultation. Immediately after your accident, your priority should be to receive appropriate medical treatment for your injury.
Pursuing Compensation for your Personal Injury Damages
When you file a personal injury claim, you may seek compensation for the following from the negligent party or his or her insurance provider:
- Medical expenses;
- Lost wages; and
- Pain and suffering damages.
Your claim must successfully demonstrate how the negligent party’s actions caused your injury and related losses. You can do this with evidence you collect from the scene of your accident and additional documents that paint the full picture of how your injury impacted your life, such as:
- Photographs of the accident scene;
- Eyewitness testimonies of the accident;
- Copies of your medical expenses;
- A copy of the official police report for the accident;
- Documentation of your lost wages; and
- Documentation showing your reduced quality of life due to the injury.
Work with an Experienced Baltimore Personal Injury Lawyer
If you have been injured in any type of accident and you are now facing financial damages as a result, do not wait to start working with an experienced Baltimore personal injury lawyer to develop and pursue a personal injury claim. Call the Law Office of Hasson D. Barnes, LLC at 443-423-0548 today to set up your initial legal consultation with us.